*** Please note this job as advertised alongside a part-time Graphic Designer position, and the RSPCA would be pleased to hear from applicants who could perform either or both roles. ***
The Communications Officer works in a team environment to assist in effectively and positively promoting RSPCA Australia's policies, views and activities.
The key areas of focus are:
- Assist in generating a wide range of media opportunities to help deliver the RSPCA campaign and communication objectives (including recognising corporate partnerships).
- Contribute to the development of media, marketing and campaign strategies.
- Monitor and report on media reports and news.
- Prepare briefing notes and talking points for RSPCA spokespeople.
- Produce and contribute to media releases and statements, with the ability to work effectively to short deadlines.
Digital and online
- Assist in managing RSPCA Australia's multiple social media profiles, including helping set social media strategy, generating content and managing responses.
- Regularly generate web-based content including web page copy and blogs, in line with the agreed communication strategy.
- Contribute to the preparation and creation of proactive and reactive e-campaigns, including regular supporter updates, monthly e-news and dedicated eDMs.
Writing and publications
- Write and review content for websites, news outlets, blogs, magazines and other publications (including RSPCA newsletters, journals and Knowledgebase).
- Write user-friendly, plain English information and advice for websites, brochures and similar documents.
- Write and coordinate the preparation of internal RSPCA newsletters and updates.
- Work closely with the RSPCA Australia science and policy team, humane food and AFS marketing teams and national partnerships manager to ensure information shared is timely, accurate and aligned with the agreed communication strategy.
- Respond to day to day requests for information from the general public.
- Support and assist RSPCA Australia and its Member Societies with ongoing communication needs.
- As required, contribute to the day-to-day operation of the office.
Applicants must address the following selection criteria in their application:
- Tertiary qualifications in journalism, communications or public relations and/or equivalent experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including experience writing for different audiences;
- Demonstrated experience in using various media and social media channels and platforms to distribute information;
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and deadlines to a high standard of accuracy and consistency; and
- Understanding of the RSPCA's mission and values, an interest in working for a charity and a commitment to animal welfare.
Full-time employees of RSPCA Australia work a 38 hour week and are entitled to 20 days recreational and 10 days sick/carers leave per year. This is a part-time (2 days per week) role with pro-rata benefits.
The days of work are Thursday and Friday, and as this is essentially a job-share role, these days may only be changed by negotiation and agreement.
Normal business hours are from 9am - 5.30pm Monday to Friday with the likelihood of regular work outside business hours and occasional interstate travel.
Applications should include three documents: (1) a document briefly addressing each of the selection criteria and (2) a Curriculum Vitae which should include the names and contact details of two referees and (3) a cover letter outlining how you fit the role.
Applications with 'Confidential - Communications Officer application' in the subject line can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively posted to:
PO Box 265
DEAKIN WEST ACT 2600
Applications must be received by midday (EDST) Monday 28 February 2016.
For further information contact Jane Speechley, Campaigns and Communications Lead on (02) 6282 8300 or 0419 748 907, email@example.com.
- COMPANY NAME - RSPCA Australia
- CONTACT NAME - Jane Speechley
- CONTACT EMAIL - firstname.lastname@example.org
- WEBSITE - www.rspca.org.au
- CONTACT NUMBER - 0419748907
- FACEBOOK - facebook.com/rspcaaustralia